The examples below are just the beginning as new ideas are continually emerging as we practice this art. It is important to note that all of the benefits imparted by metal coordination are derived from chemistry at the molecular level. This means that metal coordinated pharmaceuticals (MCPs) may require, at least in some cases, little to no additional formulation such as coatings or polymers.
- metallo-levodopa: design of a polymeric metal:drug co-polymer to promote gastric bioadhesion and provide continuous dopaminergic delivery and Continuous Dopaminergic Stimulation (CDS) in Parkinson's Disease.
- metallo-vorinostat: metal coordination of vorinostat (SAHA) with other anti-neoplastic agents to promote synergistic drug delivery per our recently patented Frequency Modulated Drug Delivery (FMDD) concept.
- metallo-zanamivir: deployment of novel reverse metal polarity coordination to reduce systemic clearance and allow non-inhaled routes of administration for treatment of influenza.
- metallo-mesalamine: design of a polymeric metal:drug co-polymer to promote colonic bioadhesion and topical application of the drug for localized inflammatory bowel disorders.
- metallo-triiodothyronine (T3): exploiting metal coordination to delay gastrointestinal absorption and reduce dosing frequency to promote patient compliance, lower potential cardiotoxicity and improve physiological delivery.
- metallo-caffeine: design of a "micro-reactor" using metal impregnated biopolymers to selectively modify the absorption of caffeine from various energy drinks and related products.
- metallo-furosemide: greatly enhanced water solubility while retaining lipophilicity for greater absorption and reduced inter-subject variability.